Big Sky Schoolhouse Survey
Montana’s rural schoolhouses are among the largest undocumented heritage resources in the nation and are disappearing at an alarming rate. To help solve this problem, Preserve Montana launched one of the most comprehensive projects in our organization’s history in 2015.
By addressing the gap in our knowledge, we hope to achieve the following goals with the help of Montanan’s from across the state.
- Document every standing one- and two-room school.
- Protect & preserve as many properties as possible.
- Maintain records of all leveled schoolhouses.
- Provide scholarly access to our comprehensive database.
- Expand public awareness & support for preservation.
- Supply reports, photos, and historical research to
local museums & historical groups.
- 400 Schoolhouses Documented
- 23 County Surveys Complete
- 9 County Surveys Underway
- 2,800 Hours of Volunteer Work
- 50+ Volunteers Engaged
- 1,500 Photos Collected